February 14, 2010

Sarah



Dedicated to my Grandmother, Sarah (The Piano Player)

Came from Holland just under 2 years of age. Great-grandparents and two siblings, all three children under the age of five at the time of their immigration to the USA. Ship: The Veendam.

Photo Restoration/Video: Jane Marla Ver Dow (2010)

Video Music: John Jarvis, Some Kind of Sunrise

Names of "Home Towns" In Holland (Providence) I saw printed, though letters switched or left off or added on through speech translation handscripted now in print or handwriting versions of the storycarriers. Here I will write them as Zeelandic Flander; Zuidzande; but most common I saw Cadzand. Speech we often heard Zuid-er-zee. I assume that meant land Zuidzande next to or on the zee (Noordzee/North Sea). Funny how sound and letters get lost over time.

Then, the waves and Sea...Now, still fighting the elements to work the land and to preserve home...that remains like Homeland, northwest Netherlands. The draw towards living near water remained in the hearts and Souls of next generations and there they settled along The Great Lake; Ontario. Farmland, rich and higher elevation this new place called, home.


I wrote this in loving memory to "the Grandparents I never met" and to include them on the day my parents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Grandma Sarah passed at age 40 (Dad, 14) and my Mom's Father, William had passed (1945) prior to their wedding day, 1946.

God, watch over me and mine I pray
Your Ocean to cross so vast.
Dream You planted in my heart just as deep
Your Promise be true, what I sow may I reap.
Set my sail to horizon -America, there may
Mother Liberty open her arms.
Captain my ship as she sails on the Sea
Me a lad or babe, Mother praying over me.
Farmland rich for Your Hands did make.
My gifts all I bring, from Thee.
My hands able to labor and music I play
Send Your Love and Guide my way. Amen.



Happy Heart Day to my Lucier-VerDow Family, 2010

Photo Restoration: Jane Marla VerDow

I love doing photo restoration of old photos. At first I thought it was my imagination, but as I was doing the close pixel work on photos of people I knew, I sensed them there with me. Everything about them. How their skin felt to me, or smells of their day from work or food; simply put, I could sense them on a touch level.

What really intrigued me...when retouching the photos of Grandma Sarah, the grandmother I never knew or met or had the gift to touch, this feeling-touch sensation would still travel through my mouse click into my hand...then to my heart.

Same I sense with old books or old papers. Guess that's the real story behind my rare and old book searches and the interest ephemera collecting. I connect this way.



For more of the same: old photos and restoration in process, or family immigration stories

http://lakeontarioshoreline.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=16


Janie